Monday, October 4, 2010

Module 9 Scootle, Twits and a second life!!!!

The Learning Federation objects have some great learning tasks and have been recommended for years by the LFTT team. I remember them being difficult to work out which ones were suitable ...it was all to to do with the way they were catalogued (I think!) It is a great resource. It is like so many of the items/applications you look at ...there is an endless supply and it is using time wisely to find out whats good and worthwhile. I have to say I am in information overload with what I have read and seen and i feel time is a major factor and being able to wisely discern as well.
I believe on the social networking side of life that we have to ensure that we use the technologies that our students are using ... it is part of their lives...so we need to look for meaningful tasks. I have two constant facebook users in my house. The issues that may arise with using social networks will arise without it as well. Bullying has existed over the years... this is where we may need to step in regarding digital footprints, responsibility etc.
Twitter I find fascinating!!!!!! I think its great that you can have a bit of a "what you doing???" style message in 140 characters (its like news feed on facebook) they say its the "real life" between blogs and email.. I say get back to work and DO something REAL!!!! I wish I had the time to be able to spend on twitter!!!
As for second life I thought it was a bit tragic when I first heard about it ages ago but after listening and seeing some of the info about it I can see that it could be worthwhile to get a feel for life in different periods of time.... First Fleet for Primary???? It could certainly lead to some interesting pod or vodcasts.
Bottom line..... good things can be found in all these applications.... it is our job to make them worthwhile and powerful in the classroom setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment